Maintaining Good Mental Health as an Athlete
Exercise and sports can be a great way to de-stress and can do wonders to our body, but what is the limit of practicing a sport, and what should we do when we or one of our kids is experiencing anxiety related to sports?
Sports psychology is a discipline that concentrates on goal setting, the mental aspects of sports, and maximizing the athlete’s optimal performance in general.
Using techniques such as imagery and self-talk, spots psychologists help athletes improve not only their performance on the field but also their mental health.
Although it may sound as if this specific psychological field helps professional athletes only, that could not be farther from the truth. Sports psychologists are there to help any individual that would wish to improve their body by using sports or regular exercise routines.
From kids who like to play football to professional athletes, these professionals are ready to help you integrate your new hobby into your life with ease and in the healthiest way possible.
In this episode, we are happy to bring Edward Darrah, a licensed professional counselor that has been working in this field since 2015, who will tell us more about what exactly is sports psychology and how it can influence sports success. He also will give us some insight on how to handle anxiety when it comes to sports and performance, and how can parents help their kids to maintain good mental health when they practice a sport.
Edward Darrah is a Licensed Professional Counselor in Delaware, Pennsylvania, and Florida. Edward holds board certifications in counseling, School Counseling, and TeleMental Health. Edward founded the “Edward Darrah Counseling & Athlete Wellness” Consulting in 2015, where he provides mental health and sports performance services within the greater Philadelphia area. Since 2018, Edward has been a full-time staff member within Temple University Athletics, serving as the Director for Student-Athlete Mental Health. Edward is also listed on the USOPC Mental Health Registry. Edward co-authored The Metacognitive Student in April 2021. Additionally, Edward co-founded the healthcare startup Flourish Healthcare in 2020.
Go to https://greminders.com/harmony to find out how you can start automating your schedule and claim your 10% discount!
What you’ll learn:
- What is sports psychology?
- How does psychology influence sports success?
- What is the most important aspect when an athlete is going to compete?
- How should athletes handle anxiety?
Connect with Edward
- Email him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subscribe to the Newsletter: https://www.emotionsinharmony.org/newsletter
- Visit our website and check out our services: https://www.emotionsinharmony.org
- Find us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/EmotionsinHarmony
- Meditate with me: https://insighttimer.com/carmenroman
- Join us on Telegram: https://t.me/EmotionsinHarmony
- Do you want to be our sponsor? Email us at email@example.com